Mice, mice and more mice - I have a half written post on that. More later.
We are about to take receipt of a small grey fluffy kitten whom I hope will have an insatiable appetitie for the things.
We ran over our first Wallaby last night. A huge population of them lives on the hill at the end of our street. Thankfully the trailer hit it and not us or the motorcyclist behind us. LJ took it surprisingly without comment.
Random animals seen on trips to Toowoomba -
turtles
1000s of mice
wallabies (dead and alive)
foxes (as above)
pigs (thankfully just dead)
The turtles surprised me. Who knew?
I remember soon after my sister got her licence and brand new car, we were driving along a country road when she saw a tortoise trying to cross. She tried to swerve to avoid it but instead hit it square on - she was devastated - she tried to go back to help it but it was too late. I don't remember any dams nearby or anything. You're not alone in seeing them in unexpected road locations.
ReplyDeleteWhen I lived in Walgett and was responsible for council matters (as the engineer) at Lightning Ridge, I would regularly see galahs, emus, rabbits, foxes, roos, wallabies, sheep and cows during my drives back and forth (about 45 min - 1 hour each way depending on farm machinery). Some were more likely to be dead than others. The galahs were particularly stupid come wheat harvest when they'd get drunk on grains that had fallen off trucks, rolled into the table drains and fermented in the puddles left after occasional rain.
I wrote off my first car (as in the first I bought) on a wallaby. Rolled the car and everything. A couple of years later I had to take a country tour with some city-ites, visiting various places including Kingaroy. I was disgusted when they raved over seeing kangaroos near the roads - if you drive in those places, that's exactly what you don't want to see!
ReplyDelete