Thursday, August 19, 2010

Too nice?

Someone helping me try to sort out my mental health recently described me as 'too nice'. Someone talking to DH about the stresses of our particular situation, recently told him that I needed to 'toughen up'. If only it were as simple as all that. I am definitely not too nice - maybe I have trouble with the self-care thing, but I am as mean and nasty as the next person. And 'toughen up'? DH's response was "If I wanted a tough wife I would have married one".

Do you think someone will invent intracranial serotonin injections?

1 comment:

  1. It is terrible how people (actually I include myself there) try to find simple solutions to mental health issues that are just plain insulting.

    I can believe the "toughen up" thing. That would be the general attitude of the bush, don't you think? My sister-in-law who is a bit of bushie herself complains of the same 'advice' and she doesn't struggle as you do.

    Hang in there Helen. We love you and God does too.

    ReplyDelete