Saturday, June 19, 2010

don't call me...

When I was at Uni doing my disability subject, we were drilled not to 'put the disability before the person'. For example, don't call a person with Down Syndrome 'a Downsie' or use the term 'an autistic child'. I recently heard the term 'a depressive' used in conversation. It got to me, and I started to wonder why. Putting it in the framework above made some sense, but if we are to think about ourselves in the way that God does, how does he define us? If we are saved, he sees us as his children, and He does not define us by our faults!

3 comments:

  1. I know what you mean - how the way we learned to talk at uni and at work influences how we talk and think now. And also that we should think about ourselves in a godly way too - which I often fail to do! I've been challenged by this just recently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to be reminded of that Helen. We forget to try to think of ourselves as God does, don't we?

    ReplyDelete