I wonder, when your almost four year old has memorized most episodes of Playschool, whether it is time to go to school? Pity, as her birthday is the first of July, that she still has 20 months...and no kindy in this here town.
Bummer. For my third birthday I got to go to kindy, so I was just under 5 (birthday is in February) when I started Year 1.
Somehow my mum managed to get my eldest sister in a year ahead too (born 3/3). Although she coped ok academically, that sister thinks she wasn't mature enough when she started school.
I was fine - having three older sisters probably helped. :-)
Yes, I think the new system is pretty crazy. Why are they making kids start school later when there is such a crisis on early eduction services like child care and kingergartens?
It's also a problem when you look at the other end. Unless the systems change our kids are going to be driving by themselves in grade 11! and are legally going to be able to drink by the end of grade 12!
That will certainly make for some interesting parenting years.
Bummer. For my third birthday I got to go to kindy, so I was just under 5 (birthday is in February) when I started Year 1.
ReplyDeleteSomehow my mum managed to get my eldest sister in a year ahead too (born 3/3). Although she coped ok academically, that sister thinks she wasn't mature enough when she started school.
I was fine - having three older sisters probably helped. :-)
Yes, I think the new system is pretty crazy. Why are they making kids start school later when there is such a crisis on early eduction services like child care and kingergartens?
ReplyDeleteIt's also a problem when you look at the other end. Unless the systems change our kids are going to be driving by themselves in grade 11! and are legally going to be able to drink by the end of grade 12!
That will certainly make for some interesting parenting years.