Thursday, June 2, 2011

I have a dream...

of a pastor for pastors for our denomination, in our state.

I've come across the concept before, and heard a focus on the family interview with a man who does just this. But our own experience of our first placement, and others' experiences, makes me think that an experienced minister with some counselling training to supervise the ministers in the PCQ is a sensible idea. Here's what I think it would look like -

- Visits once a year in the first 5 years for a few days, staying with the minister's family
- His file is closed. He does not divulge anything to any committee unless leave needs to be taken or there is serious sin and he needs to be stood down.
- They ask the hard questions

Just an inkling at the moment. What do you think?

5 comments:

  1. Nice idea.
    Some guys treat the concept like a personal affront. Don't worry about that.
    It doesn't interact with the whole family, but pastoral retreat groups are a very helpful experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helen - we have personally benefitted from a pastoral couple in our lives and now, have the blessing and privilege of being that to others. Great idea and much needed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it. How can we make it happen?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simone - I don't know. Pray definitely. Write a motion? You're the mover and shaker!

    Sue - I know. You were one of the couples I thought of!

    Gary - Pastoral retreats are great I'm sure. I just wonder if you guys put up as much of a front as minister's wives do when they are together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the idea of mentoring/supervision sounds great, actually. In some professions (eg. psychology, social work etc) it's mandatory to have supervision for debriefing, working through complex situations or whatever. Ministry has similar challenges to any other counselling profession, I would assume. And it would improve accountability as well.

    Simone, aren't you on some PCQ committee that could sort it out??

    ReplyDelete