Wednesday, June 8, 2011

On raising (a) boy

Wendy's post about boys made me finally congeal a million fluttering thoughts into a post I have been meaning to write for a while.

I have a very 'atypical' little boy. I started thinking in terms of Myers-Briggs personalities recently and googled the profile I thought he had. You can read more about him (I think, he's only two, almost three!) here. Here's the basics of him:

  • Very idealistic
  • Take things seriously and personally
  • Quiet and gentle
  • Extremely sensitive
  • Shy and reserved with strangers
  • Enjoy reading
  • Service-oriented, they want to please others
  • They love animals and small babies


  • The comment I always get about him is 'he's such a GOOD boy'. What people are unwittingly saying about him, though, is 'he's such a quiet boy'. He is so different from Wendy's boys (except for the food thing, more about that later!). He occupies himself very quietly. He is quite obedient. All in all, his sin is not staring you in the face.

    This does not mean his personality is 'nicer' than his sister's. God gives every personality and they are all good.

    On to the food thing: when I went to stay with Wendy and her family (there were only three of them then) after my short-term mission in Northern Japan at the end of 2000/beginning of 2001, she told me that food 'fixes' things for men. I've definitely seen this with my Dad, then with my husband after we got married, and now my son's favourite comments are:
    - 'What are we having for dinner?' (quite often asked before lunch)
    - 'My tummy's not full'
    And if he's upset - "Can I have some popcorn?"
    Quite ironic really, considering the first two years of his life were spent with lots of vomiting and diahorrea from the dairy and gluten he was ingesting.

    Maybe not all men/boys are like this, but I really understand the saying "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach!"

    1 comment:

    1. Smile! You are so right that the "good" comment equals "quiet". It is so funny that our husbands have ended up with kids so different to themselves. David was one of the "good" kids and well, he would have understood your son better than he understands his own sons.

      ReplyDelete