Monday, September 13, 2010

Know Your Bible (KYB)

Does anyone else have experiences of these studies? I have limited experiences, but in the ones I have had I have found them to be short on context, long on observation questions and extremely light on application.

5 comments:

  1. Rachel Shannon has a lot of experience with these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a lot of women across Australia have been really blessed by these studies. Many women have not had the Bible explained to them in their lives and as the studies often focus on a particular book, through the study their Bible knowledge has really grown. My mother and my grandmother have been in KYB (know your Bible) study groups for years, and have seen much spiritual growth in many women.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the referral Wendy! I'm guessing by Narelle's comment we're having a bit of a SNUF reunion here!

    KYB is often about the way it's led. Sometimes those who've used it for a long time have got in a rut of Q & A (i.e. what does the leader's book say). However, when used as the basis for teaching women the Bible in the context of a growing and deepening relational group it is a wonderful tool. (I've also done it by correspondence.) It's certainly been the means of much blessing in my life and the lives of spiritually hungry women I've met. It's the one staple that has remained part of my week in three towns now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies. We had a particularly good conversation with Margaret Crane and she basically said what you said, Rachel, that it's about the way it's led. So I think we have to focus our attention there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Helen,
    I'm late on this (don't know why I haven't been seeing your blog feeds?), but I've had a love-hate relationship with KYB studies. I have seen someone converted through them though, and if they are done well they are fantastic. Depends a lot on the leader and the dynamics of the group. There is a good mix of straight forward questions and deeper questions.
    You planning on using some?

    ReplyDelete