Saturday, September 11, 2010

Things I will never buy again

HB has recently begun to improve when we have removed Rice Bubbles from his diet. They are sprayed with malt, which contains gluten. He has already had a blood test for coeliac disease but it came up negative. Apparently false negatives are rare. Praying that the Paediatric Gastroenterologist will have some answers.

In this process, I have removed everything containing preservatives and the dodgy artificial colours from our diets. Lucy is sleeping through most nights for the first time in her life! We had a visitor recently who asked me to list all the things I won't buy again because of what they contain.

they include -
Packaged breadcrumbs
Rice crackers (apart from the new Vita-Wheat ones, and plain Sakata ones)
Tortillas (all contain preservative 282)
Lollies containing anything artificial
Any soft drink other than Schweppes natural lemonade

2 comments:

  1. Hi Helen,

    I thought I delurk myself to say hi, and I'm glad you're finding some answers. And also, quite a few people who are not gluten intolerant have problems with malt. I think it may have something to do with the fermentation process, in which case you may have to look at other fermented foods too.

    I was going to say more, particularly about our own experience with food intolerances, but Google ate my first two attempts and I have to pick up the kids. But if you're interested in further discussion I could try again later.

    Best wishes,

    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you found the "Fed up with food additives" website? Also you can react to gluten without having propper coeliacs... there is a difference between intolerance and allergy. This can be a difficullt road, I feel for you.
    Margaret in MT G

    ReplyDelete