Thursday, November 24, 2011

Rethinking

I was going to get HB a scooter for Christmas. Now I'm thinking along the lines of Thomas the Tank engine, and books.

3 comments:

  1. I was thinking about one of those scooter boards that OTs use. The flat board with four small shopping-trolley type wheels. He could have some mobility around one floor of your house and you could have some freedom. Don't know you can buy them, though, someone might have to make one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used to loan out oversized scooterboards for kids with hip spica plaster casts on when I worked in the acute hospital paeds wards. They were wider at the back than at the front to accommodate the larger casts (hip spicas are pretty bulky and they prevent kids from bending at the hips/pelvis so pretty awkward to manage in car seats as well as just general mobility).
    Generally, most kids in leg only casts didn't need the scooterboards at home, but if you wanted to try one you could ask at the hospital to see if they have one. For a full leg cast, you'll probably find he'll be able to scoot around on his bottom fairly well (a bit safer than a scooterboard), and use a stroller when he's out (did you say he already fits into an old one?). And as you've also said, using a plastic bag to cover it up at bathtime is the way to go as well.

    ReplyDelete