Friday, January 6, 2012

Middlemarch

In the past couple of years I have been trying to make up for my lack of an English Literature degree by reading lots of the classics. I've enjoyed nearly all of them - but my favourite was Jane Eyre - can't wait to watch that one on Itunes! Last fortnight when I was at the library, I took out Middlemarch, by George Elliot (who was really a woman).

It's like wading through mud. Normally I can knock over a novel in a few days. I'm not even a quarter of the way through this one, even though I've been reading it for three weeks! So much detail...don't know if I'm going to get to the end or if I'll abandon it in favour of the much easier to read literature on my bedside table!

2 comments:

  1. I had the same experience as you. I tried to read it last year (Simone was busy blogging about it for a while so I thought I would give it a go) but I couldn't get past the first few pages.
    I found a cheap DVD set of it and bought that, thinking if I could get a rough idea of what the story was, it might help me get into the book more. But that hasn't worked either...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep going. It's worth it. Skip ahead if you need to. Open the book half way through and start reading.

    ReplyDelete