
I read this book last year after seeing a few facebook friends were reading it/wanted to read it, then eventually found my way to the blog by the same name.
The premise of the book is that in order to live what the author calls a 'full life' we need to be thankful for everything and live in a constant and continual state of what she calls 'eucharisteo' . DH says that her greek-usage is incorrect. She is fond of taking passages out of context. The jump that the author makes from saying that Jesus gave thanks at the passover meal before he died to saying that being thankful is the root of the living the best we can for Christ is a big one.
The other huge issue I had with the book was the consistent use of purple prose (I only just found this term and it's perfect for her!). I couldn't help but analyse how she does it (grammatical analysis comes naturally for work!) she -
- cuts out the articles 'a' and 'the' and possessive pronouns (e.g. 'a wife with (a) full house')
- puts adjectives after nouns intead of before 'e.g. 'scar tissue stiff')
I think the problem is the brain has no time to rest without the 'filler' words!
The application, though, is a good one for this joy struggler - challenge yourself to write a list of 1000 things you are thankful for. It will teach you to be! It's definitely changing me.
No comments:
Post a Comment